5/29/2013

if someone can talk you out of being a writer, you're not a writer

So. I read the thing. And it hurt, man. It really hurt. I was dying to find something positive to say, and there was nothing. And the truth is, saying something positive about this thing would be the nastiest, meanest and most dishonest thing I could do. Because here's the thing: not only is it cruel to encourage the hopeless, but you cannot discourage a writer. If someone can talk you out of being a writer, you're not a writer. If I can talk you out of being a writer, I've done you a favor, because now you'll be free to pursue your real talent, whatever that may be. And, for the record, everybody has one. The lucky ones figure out what that is. The unlucky ones keep on writing shitty screenplays and asking me to read them.

- Screenwriter John Olson reads a friend's bad script, from his essay "I Will Not Read Your Fucking Script". You can read the whole (largely obnoxious and sporadically hilarious) thing here.

No comments: