4/03/2011

a search for footings

Bear in mind that I am an extremely un-prolific poet. I can't write poetry most of the time, so when a subject presents itself, I seize it. Mary Dalton once said to me, "You write the poems you need." The poems I write often articulate need, but should not be taken as representing the whole of my life. The Globe and Mail described my poems as "Dark and Moody" -- this took me by surprise, for I am actually a lighthearted person most of the time. I am one of the big hopers, yet my poetry deals rather scorchingly with sentiment and soft feeling -- but the truth is I live by these feelings and my poems test them with irony. It is a search for footings.

- Richard Greene, in interview with Carmelo Militano over at the Northern Poetry Review. You can read the whole thing here.

No comments: